Monday, June 20, 2016

The things we do for love

My oldest niece is having a Big Birthday this year.
When I saw her last, I asked, "Would you like a quilt?"
"Yes, please," she replied.
"Lap-sized or bed-sized?"
"A big one, please."

OK. So I asked her to send me a photo of her room, which she did -- a picture of an elegant room in plums & pale gray with silver accents -- it looked like something from a magazine!
Can I make a quilt that will be at home there!?!
Well, I will try.

I gathered a few plums & purples from my stash. I guess I am not a purple person, so some online & in-real-life shopping were necessary for a stack of 30-some prints & solids. Now for a pattern -- after much study, I settled on one out there these days on the interwebs: Wanta Fanta by blossomheartquilts.com. Basically, it is a kaleidoscope-ish block & a snowball block; in combination, they make a pretty, overall pattern.

I had been sewing & sewing & not seeing much progress -- that is, until I did see progress. The pattern isn't hard, just a bit fussy. Now that the design is emerging, I am getting excited. It's kind of elegant!

As a sort of palette cleanser to the elegance, I pulled out a stack of wacky blocks my Grandmother made. She gave them to me long ago when I first got seriously interested in quilt-making. She finished only 2 quilts -- a flower garden -- Mom & Dad's wedding gift, now mine, & a wedding ring that my cousin has. Both are beautiful & beautifully made. This stack of plaid-on-plaid blocks are beautifully made, but beautiful? Not so much. Grandma was a refined farm woman, but these blocks are not refined! I wish I had asked what prompted her to make them. Anyway, rather than calming their loudness with a solid, I decided to turn them up a little more with some calicoes.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Two lovely projects you have going on! Elegant certainly describes the gift you are making...just beautiful. And i like those older blocks...and your setting is super...Nice work...hugs, Julierose

Nifty Quilts said...

I agree, the purple one is quite elegant. Looks perfect for the type of room you described. She's a lucky niece! I LOVE what you're doing with your grandmother's blocks. Those plaids are perfectly highlighted with the calicos. It'll be a sweet memory quilt. Whatever happened to calicos anyway?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh those blocks of your Grandmother's are FANTASTIC -- so much fun to look at. Like the calico you added. The other quilt in the making is wonderful, but those plaids make my heart sing.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your grandmother's blocks, this is going to look great!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I know I say I love every thing you do but I really do and these are no exception. I love the elegance of the quilt you are making for your neice. It's such a clever and effective pattern. Your calico sashing is a truly wonderful choice for your grandmothers blocks. What a joyful quilt it will be!

Maryse said...

Love to see all your circles laying on the floor; it looks fantastic!!

m. said...

Love, love, love Grandma's plaids with your sweet calico.

O'Quilts said...

Wow...I love both of these....I must have been in the nursing home for this post...I have been thinking about you!!!!